THE BCF INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE PROGRAMME
The Challenge to Global Education
Despite billions of dollars being invested in initiatives to improve educational outcomes, over a million public/community schools around the globe stubbornly remain under-performers. These schools are attended by an estimated 550,000,000 children.
The global population is rapidly evolving into two worlds – those with education, jobs, money and a future for themselves and their children, and those with little education, no permanent job and no prospects. And these people are increasingly hungry and angry.
Urgent action is essential in every country to ensure every school becomes a centre of excellence.
We just don’t have time to turn around one school at a time.
We don’t even have time to turn around 50 or even 1,000 schools at a time.
We need to turn at least 200,000 schools into centres of excellence every year if we are to turn every public (government) school into a centre of excellence within five years.
Clearly a completely new programme is required.
The BCF International Schools Centre of Excellence Programme (ISCEP) is scalable, and has the technology, pedigree and a cost-effective pricing model to enable Ministries of Education of every country to sustainably reinvent their district offices and all the schools in each district to become centres of excellence within 5 months at less than USD 914 per school.
BCF trains employees of each Ministry of Education to
- Train the district director and the top management teams of each district office to reinvent their district office to become a centre of excellence focused on every school becoming a centre of excellence
- Simultaneously train schools inspectors/circuit managers/education officers to train and empower the principals of schools which report to them to reinvent their schools to become centres of excellence.
This Programme was first presented in Lesotho during 2015.
In the Report by the Lesotho Ministry of Education and Training to UNICEF, who initiated and funded the Programme, the Ministry reported:
- The Programme was a significant success.
- The percentage of learners graduating at the end of year 7 at previously under-performing primary schools whose principals had been trained by their school inspectors increased by 54% in 2016 while the pass rate of control group of schools declined by 7% indicating an overall improvement of 61% compared to school in the control group who had not participated in the Programme.
- The role of the Inspector changed from being a compliance officer to that of an Excellence Leader who empowered principals to reinvent their schools to become centres of excellence.
- This Programme did not focus on academic outcomes. It focused on changing the culture of each school to become a centre of excellence. The excellent results followed.
- Principals acquired the skills to make progress on their journey to reinvent their schools to become centres of excellence and in so doing inspired the staff to improve the culture of effective teaching and effective learning.
- The number of schools gaining 100% pass rates increased from 3 schools to 7 schools.
In South Africa this Programme has succeeded in enabling principals to change the culture of their schools to become centres of excellence. Excellent academic results have followed.
High schools whose principals had attended this Programme on average increased the percentage of learners gaining a Bachelor or Diploma matriculation pass which entitles them to attend university or technical university from 53% in 2015 to 73% in 2020. (Results provided by the South African Department of Basic Education)